15 Facts on Solar Panel Installation in Sydney or Anywhere Else
Solar panels otherwise known as photovoltaic cells consist of semiconductor materials similar to those found in computer chips. They are commonly found in simple, handheld calculators, as well as spacecraft and on rooftops. If you’ve been toying with the idea of going for a solar panel installation in Sydney or another large/expensive city like it, you probably need reassurance that you’re making the right move.
Well, we’ve done you a favour and are listing some interesting (and maybe useful) facts to consider when deciding on what kind of energy you want to power your home or office (solar, or fossil-fuel driven). If you choose solar power, contact us for solar panel installation and maintenance (we’re the best solar power installers in Sydney)
Interesting facts on solar power
Whether you’re deciding on residential or commercial solar panel installation, here are some titbits that may make you appreciate solar energy more when purchasing panels to produce solar energy.
- Your solar installers in Sydney may or may not be aware of this fact, but humans have been using solar power to cook, heat, and apply in other areas for more than 2,700 years.
- China leads the world in solar energy generation by a comfortable margin. In 2017, China installed 24. GW of solar power, while the United States installed 12.4 GW worth. To put this figure into perspective, it takes 25 GW of solar energy to power 4.1 million US homes.
- The first solar cell (commercially viable) was created by Bell Laboratories in 1954. This preceded Alexandre Becquerel’s discovery of the photovoltaic effect (1839), and Russell Ohl’s invention of the first photovoltaic cell, or solar panel (1941).
- If there’s a natural disaster and the power to a community has been cut off, solar energy is the quickest to install and restore power to that community (it just takes a couple of weeks).
- As of 2019, solar energy is cheaper to produce than that produced by fossil fuels.The amount of energy the sun produces in one hour can power the planet for an entire year. This may be enough to call the best solar power installers in Sydney (us).
- If you’re thinking of getting solar power, the most efficient solar panels to purchase are made of monocrystalline silicon.
- Homeowners get their money’s worth on their solar panel purchase within a decade. Solar panels are expensive to buy, but the Australian government offers rebates that help consumers make them financially viable, so you can call on the best solar installers in Sydney to start using solar power.
- There’s no pollution involved when solar energy is being produced. This may help you decide to go for a solar system installation in Sydney, if you’re a local.
- A solar power plant can last for more than 40 years.
- You don’t need direct sunlight for solar panels to generate electricity. There are also solar batteries that will store the energy to be used later on.
- There are several corporate businesses worldwide that utilise solar energy to help power their operations. These include notable such as Apple and Walmart in the United States.
- The largest solar power plant is located in the Mojave Desert (United States), and is 1,000 acres in size.
- By using solar energy, currently we prevent 35 tons of carbon dioxide from being released into the environment, and avoid consuming 75 million barrels of oil annually.
- Your solar panel setup produces 10 kW-hrs of electricity per square foot.
- A solar panel system, on average, converts 20% of the energy it captures from the sun into electricity.