Stopping receiving calls from hidden or unknown numbers is not as complicated as it may seem at first, especially if you have an iPhone or iPad with iOS 7, iOS 8, iOS 9, iOS 10, iOS 11, iOS 12 or iOS 13 .
In fact, Apple’s operating system already includes an option that, when activated, will keep you away from heavy commercials. It will also help you in the case of having a stalker, although in delicate situations like this it is better to go to the police.
Don’t worry if your device has iOS 6 or lower installed. We also have several solutions for you! Among them, you can save the contact with a name that identifies it as an unwanted call or even use external apps available in the App Store.
How to block a phone number on iPhone with iOS 7 or later?
You have just received a call or an unwanted message and decide that it is time to block the number on your iPhone. How do you do it?
one. Open the app ‘Phone’From your iPhone and go to the‘ section recent’. The number should appear in the list.
You can also locate it from the application ‘Messages‘.
2. Once the number is located, hit the blue icon in the shape of ‘lower case that you will see next to the number to visit the contact information section.
Since ‘Messages’, You must first click on the I followed by the phone number or name of the contact that will appear above you.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap the option ‘Block this contact’.
Alternatively, you can manage the blocked numbers from section ‘Block and Caller ID‘ in the ‘Adjustments’ From your device. Remember that in this case, you must have the number stored in your contact list.
one. In ‘Adjustments’, Locate the section phone’.
2. In the section ‘Block and Caller ID’Click on the option block contact and select the contact you don’t want to receive more calls from.
Keep in mind that the person can still leave you a message on the answering machine. However, you will not receive any notification notifying you of this new message in your voicemail, while the caller will not know that you have blocked it.
On the other hand, if you change your mind and want to unlock a previously blocked number, you only have to follow one of these two methods.
one. Open the app ‘Phone’ On your iPhone and locate the number or contact you want to unlock.
You can also find it from ‘Messages‘.
2. Hit the blue icon formaiLower case for viewing contact information.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap the option ‘Unblock this contact ’.
one. In ‘Adjustments’, Locate the section phone’.
2. In section ‘Block and Caller ID’Click on the option‘Edit‘That you will see in the upper right corner.
3. Select the red icon in a round shape that you will see on the left side of the contact that you want to unblock, followed by the option of ‘To unlock which will appear on the right.
4. Finally, hit ‘okay’To confirm the changes.
How to block a phone number on iPhone with iOS 6 or earlier?
Devices with iOS 6 or earlier do not have such an easy way to block a phone number as those with a later iOS, so the best option to get rid of unwanted calls would be to update the operating system.
However, there are certain iPhones and iPads that simply are not compatible with iOS 7 or later, so you will have no choice but to resort to one of the two techniques that we present below.
The first of these consists of a process of jailbreakThat is, in removing certain restrictions from Apple to be able to use unauthorized applications such as iBlacklist. Think carefully before doing it, since it is a somewhat risky method.
The jailbreak It requires some steps or others depending on the model of iPhone or iPad you have, as well as the operating system installed on it. Once done, you will have to download a contact blocking application, in our case, iBlacklist.
one. Open the independent Cydia app store and, with the help of the magnifying glass, search for the app to download. Once found, press ‘Install’.
2. When installation is complete, restart your device by pressing both the top button and the start button -in iPhones 5S or earlier-; the side button and the home button -in iPhones 6, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8 and 8 Plus-; or the side button and volume buttons on iPhone X.
3. Open the iBlacklist app and hit ‘Blacklists’.
4. To add a number to your contact blacklist, press ‘Add new Blacklist’And enter the number you want to block. You can also import the contact directly from your recent calls.
5. To avoid receiving calls from the contact in question, make sure that in the option ‘Call’-Or‘ Call ’in English- mode is selected‘on’.
Also, make sure that the mode ‘on’s selected for the‘ option message’-Or‘ Message ’in English – to not receive text messages from this same contact.
6. The app also allows you to manage what will happen once you receive a call from the blocked number. You can configure it in the section ‘Action to be performed‘Where you can choose whether to send the caller directly to the mailbox, among other options.
7. Finally, give the blue button that you will see on your screen to save the changes.
The second technique is much simpler, although not as effective, since it consists simply of identifying the numbers that you do not want to pick up with a name that warns you in advance not to do so.
one. In the app ‘Phone’, select the unwanted number and click the blue icon formaiLowercase to get contact information.
2. Click on ‘Create new contact’And in the section on‘Name’Introduces an identifier with which you easily relate that it is a call that you do not want to pick up. Some examples are: ‘Do not pick up’, ‘Hang up’, ‘Unsolicited call’, ‘Ignore’
3. Give to ‘okay’ To save the changes.
4. Optionally, you can create completely soundless audio with the GarageBand app on your iPhone and set it as the ringtone for the off-hook contact.
When you receive an unwanted call from another number again, you don’t have to repeat the same process. Instead of creating a new contact from scratch, tap ‘Add to an existing contact and select the contact created in the previous steps.
How to block calls with the Cellblock app?
Blocking phone numbers one by one can be a somewhat laborious process, but luckily there is an application called Cellblock that will automatically block calls from telemarketing of more than 3 million commercials from some 100 countries.
one. Open the app ‘Adjustments’And select the section phone’.
2. Find the section ‘Caller ID Blocking’And click on it.
3. Finally, hit the switch that you will see next to ‘Callblock’To activate the application.
Keep in mind, however, that this app does not identify hidden numbers and is only available for devices with iOS 9 or later. In addition, although the first month is free, then you will have to pay € 2.49 per month.
How to block a call with a hidden number?
Have you received any unwanted calls from hidden? There is a minimum of four methods to block these contacts for which the number does not appear after they have consciously decided to do so.
The first option is to use applications available on the App Store that allow you to block hidden numbers. We refer to apps like Call Bliss that, for $ 9.99 – about € 8.15 -, allows you to silence unwanted calls; or CIA (free), which gives you their number.
As a second option, you can also use applications such as TrapCall that, through one of its three subscription plans, helps you identify the hidden or unknown number, as well as block unwanted calls.
Third, you can take advantage of the option ‘Do not bother’On your iPhone so that when a number not identified by your mobile calls you, it does not ring. The big drawback is that you may receive an important call from a number not saved in your contacts.
one. In the application of ‘Adjustments’Click and not bothered activate it. You can easily identify this section by selecting the purple icon with a white crescent.
2. Click on ‘Allow calls from under the section apartadoPhone’ And select contacts to only receive calls from those numbers stored in your list.
Finally, it only remains to make a call to your telephone company to check if they offer any service, against payment, to block hidden numbers.
How do you know if someone has blocked your number?
There is no 100 percent effective method to find out if it is true that a person has blocked your phone number unless you ask them directly or swipe them to check the list of blocked contacts.
However, there are some keys that could indicate that there is indeed someone who does not want to receive your calls or text messages. For example, if every time you call, the call only lasts for one tone, and the answering machine immediately jumps. Find out more in this article.
From Macworld Spain, we recommend that you always respect someone’s will to block your number, as there may be serious reasons behind this decision. Also, keep in mind that your blocked contacts may also suspect it.
It may be the case that someone has blocked your number, but how do you know? Discover in this other article the keys that will tell you if someone is trying to avoid your call. If you have the problem with a non-Apple device, why not take a look at our tutorial on how to block calls on Android?